Monument record MDR11019 - New Bolsover Model Village, Bolsover, Old Bolsover
Type and Period (1)
- WORKERS VILLAGE (Victorian - 1891 AD? to 1894 AD?)
- None recorded
New Bolsover Model Village is a planned industrial village. There are 194 houses in terraces on three sides of a square open green. It once had a tramway around all the streets for delivery of domestic coal to the miners. It was commenced in 1893 by Sir John Houfton and the Bolsover Colliery Company. (1) New Bolsover Colliery Village (Listed Grade II). Colliery village built by the Bolsover Colliery Company in c.1891-1894, possibly designed by Brewill and Baily. Two-storey brick houses with ornate features including dormer windows. The original layout is intact being notable for the period for its short terraces and spacious layout around a large central green. The community hall is now derelict (2000) but the village is subject to a Millennium Project regeneration scheme. (2) The village is not shown on the 1st ed. OS 25" of c. 1880. The 2nd and 3rd editions show the village, with a school to the west. (3) Former Coop stores part vacant, with part of the ground floor in light industrial use. Works for conversion to residential currently in progress. (4)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 9(b).1, with photos.
- <2> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 6, illust..
- <3> SDR19683 Personal Observation: Brown, J. Observation based on personal experience, map evidence, site visit etc..
- <4> SDR22980 Unpublished document: Bolsover District Council. 2008. Bolsover District Council Historic Environment Scheme 2008-2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 46506 70333 (250m by 261m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD BOLSOVER, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (26)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2023 11:11PM