Monument record MDR11032 - Pleasley Vale Works and millponds, Pleasley
Type and Period (3)
- TEXTILE MILL (Victorian - 1840 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- TEXTILE MILL (Georgian - 1784 AD to 1800 AD?)
- MILL POND (Georgian to Victorian - 1784 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Pleasley Vale Works. Impressive former textile mills of William Hollins & Co. on the River Meden and thus straddling the county boundary with Nottinghamshire. Now in multiple occupation. Four and five storey buildings in Magnesian limestone dating from the 1840s with the site dominated by a massive detached chimney. There have been textile mills on the site since 1784. (1) Area mapped combines OS 25" 1st, 2nd and 3rd eds, with modern (2006) mapping. See SMR 12015 for Pleasley Forge which stood in the valley before the cotton mills were built. (2) The present mill buildings are thought to have replaced earlier buildings which utilised the two mill ponds on the River Meden as a source of water power. There are, however, no signs of any former structures on the site other than the mill ponds themselves, and it is apparent that the latter have undergone changes in their shape and structure to accommodate the present buildings. The oldest building is Mill 3, which was constructed during the 1840s. Mills 1 and 2 were built in the latter part of the 19th century. All relied on alternative methods for power, notably steam and, more recently, electricity. Although no longer required as a source of power, the mill ponds appear to have been retained as part of the 19th century industrial complex to provide water for the various textile processing activities. The River Meden flows beneath all of the mill buildings, through brick and stone-lined culverts. Much of the ground on which the mill buildings stand appears to have been made up during and after the 19th century building phases. Prior to the conversion of the mills to light industrial units, a number of ancillary buildings and structures were subject to archaeological recording, as they were likely to be removed. These included a former Water Control House on the west pond, a series of outflow sluices to both ponds, two brick-built fluid storage tanks and a monumental tower housing an iron water storage tank. (3)
- <1> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 11.
- <2> SDR19683 Personal Observation: Brown, J. Observation based on personal experience, map evidence, site visit etc..
- <3> SDR20148 Unpublished document: Sidebottom, P. 1995. Archaeological Recording at Pleasley Vale Mills, Pleasley, Derbyshire. SMR Doc. No. 1018.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 51544 65012 (1379m by 312m)|
|Civil Parish||PLEASLEY, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:30PM