Monument record MDR11067 - Wagon Works, South Street North, New Whittington, Chesterfield
Type and Period (2)
- STEEL WORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAILWAY WAGON WORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Wagon Works, New Whittington. The original brick/slate sheds of a 19th century wagon works, with late corrugated iron additions are now (1999) in multiple occupation. It was formerly linked to the adjacent North Midland main line. (1) The site is shown as 'Steel Works' on the 1st and 2nd eds 25" OS maps (2, 3) and as 'Wagon Works' on the 3rd edition. (4)
- <1> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 19.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 39994 74995 (265m by 150m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 24 2015 3:53PM