Monument record MDR11070 - Staveley Works Railway Station (site of), Troughbrook Road, Staveley
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Victorian to Edwardian - 1880 AD? to 1910 AD?)
- None recorded
Staveley Works Railway Station, Troughbrook Road. Remains of the former GCR Staveley Works railway station on the Chesterfield Loop including the remains of bridges, platform copings and a boarded-up two-storey railway house [SMR 14046] at the entrance to the station. The line crossed the Chesterfield Canal at this point. (1) The railway station, which was officially known as 'Staveley Works for Barrow Hill', was opened on June 4 1892. It was typical of all the stations on the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway's Derbyshire lines in having two platforms, each with a timber station building. The station straddled the canal, with the railway being taken over the canal by a wrought iron girder bridge and the platforms being supported on a lighter lattice girder bridge. The main station buildings were on the down platform (to the north of the canal), with a secondary building on the up platform. The main building houses the ticket office and the station master's office. The platforms were linked by a subway to the north-west of the canal bridge. As built, both up and down platform buildings had distinctive gabled platform canopies, each with five bays. These canopies were much modified over time. Following closure of the line in 1963, the girder bridges and the up platform buildings were removed almost immediately. The down platform buildings survived for a short time but were finally demolished in the late 1970s. Survey of the site in 2010 noted that the remains of the platforms could be made out on both sides of the canal, the foundations footings for both up and down buildings were still visible and some fencing posts remained in situ. The embankments and abutments of the girder bridge also remain. (2)
- <1> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 20.
- <2> SDR21021 Unpublished document: Coles, G (Chesterfield Canal Partnership). 2010. Hollingwood Lock House: Lock House and Staveley Works Station Photographic Surveys. HER Doc. No. 1348.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 41522 74618 (130m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 5 2017 2:27PM