Building record MDR11071 - Hollingwood Lock House and lock , Troughbrook Road, Staveley
Type and Period (3)
- STATION MASTERS HOUSE (Former Type) (Victorian to Edwardian - 1880 AD? to 1910 AD?)
- LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE (Victorian - 1890 AD to 1892 AD)
- LOCK (Victorian - 1890 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Staveley Works Railway Station House, Troughbrook Road. Remains of the former GCR Staveley Works railway station (SMR 13045) on the Chesterfield Loop include a boarded-up two-storey railway house at the entrance to the station. The line crossed the Chesterfield Canal at this point. (1) Following the diversion of the Chesterfield Canal in response to the proposed expansion of Staveley Ironworks, a new lock was constructed and named Hollingwood Lock. A lock keeper's cottage was built at the same time. The canal diversion was opened in 1892. Hollingwood Lock House is a two storey red brick building with a slate roof and is modelled on contemporary railway crossing keepers' cottages. The house was last tenanted in the early 1980s, but is to be restored as part of a new waterside community hub. Unfortunately it has suffered from persistent vandalism, with theft of original features. A photographic survey has been made prior to restoration. (2) Lock and cottage built in the 1890s when the line of the canal was diverted. Extremely rare in that virually now new canals and locks were built after 1850. An example of how if canal locks had been built during a late '19th century Canal Age'. (3)
- <1> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 20.
- <2> SDR21021 Unpublished document: Coles, G (Chesterfield Canal Partnership). 2010. Hollingwood Lock House: Lock House and Staveley Works Station Photographic Surveys. HER Doc. No. 1348.
- <3> SDR22713 Correspondence: Smith, D (Chesterfield Canal Society). 1991. Letter to County Archaeologist dated 15/10/1991. Letter.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 41572 74632 (19m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 5 2017 2:27PM