Site record MDR11078 - Hartington (formerly New Hollingwood) Colliery (site of), Staveley
Type and Period (3)
- COLLIERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TERRACE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Site of Hartington Colliery. Now an industrial estate . One or two non-descript single-storey concrete buildings were formerly ancillary buildings of the colliery. (1) The 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows New Hollingwood Colliery, and adjacent planned housing probably associated with the colliery. On the 2nd and 3rd editions this has become Hartington Colliery. Modern mapping (2006) shows Hartington House at the north-east corner of the site, the only remaining building possibly associated with the colliery, and shown on 1st edition OS map. (2-6)
- <1> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p. 22.
- <2> SDR19683 Personal Observation: Brown, J. Observation based on personal experience, map evidence, site visit etc..
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 2006.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 43346 75456 (501m by 336m)|
|Civil Parish||STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 19 2020 11:16AM