On March 30th 1848 Bateman opened a barrow about a mile from Sharp Low [SMR 14301], describing it as resembling Sharp Low in every respect except the height which was about 4ft. Two disturbed skeletons were found, around which were 'many fragments of iron', probably the remains of a shield. A food vessel of Manby's Type 2(ii) was found with a cremation and a stag's tine in a central limestone cist/rock grave. (1, 4-6)
(SK 1534 5267) The barrow is labelled 'Tumulus' on an Ordnance Survey map of 1955. (3)
Manby suggests that the grid reference for the barrow is SK 153 527. (5)
The published survey (25") is correct. (7)
Bestall records that it was not found possible to state with certainty that this barrow exists at the grid reference SK 153 527. (8)
Listed in surveys as a barrow, 60ft in diameter, with a primary inhumation in a rock-grave, with a food vessel of Type 2 (ii) and a piece of stag's horn. The bones of two badly disturbed skeletons on the old ground surface were also discovered alongside iron fragments which may suggest later Anglian use of the barrow. (9, 10)
This fine bowl barrow is 1.1m-1.2m high and lies within a small walled plantation. Several trees grow on the mound. The sides are unploughed and largely look undisturbed. Three pits at the centre indicate small scale robbing or excavation. Although Bateman's account of a barrow opened on March 30th has been attributed to this site, as above, the attribution is not absolutely certain as several other barrows, now presumed lost or destroyed, were opened by Bateman, Jewitt and Lucas in this area [see SMRs 14303, 14304, 14305]. (11)
Cromwell's Low bowl barrow became a scheduled monument in 1969, this being affirmed in 1992. It is a sub-circular cairn in a ridge-top location in the south-western ridges of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. The monument includes a mound measuring 19m by 16m and standing c.1.3m high. This was partially excavated by Thomas Bateman in 1848 and found to contain, at the centre, a rock-cut grave covered by two limestone slabs in which was deposited a cremation burial accompanied by a fragment of antler and a food vessel indicating a Bronze Age date for the barrow. Outside the grave, on the old land surface beneath the barrow, were found the disturbed remains of two skeletons in association with iron nails or rivets, buckles and the fittings of a shield. These indicate the re-use of the barrow in the Anglian period. Excluded from the scheduling are the drystone walls crossing the edge of the monument, although the ground beneath them is included. (12)
Site monitoring has been carried out and area appears not to be under imminent threat. (15)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p. 27.
Bibliographic reference: Abercromby, J. 1905.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1534 5267 (17m by 18m) (Centre)
TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2015 4:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.