Monument record MDR1111 - Hall Well, Tissington
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
(SK 17435249) Hand's Well; (SK 17575232) Hall Well; (SK 17575220) Yewtree Well; (SK 17755220) Town Well; (SK 17835227) Coffin Well - named on map. (1). There are five wells at Tissington: The Hall Well, Hand's Well, Town Well, Yew Tree Well and Coffin Well, all of which are dressed annually on Ascension Day, the custom at Tissington dating from an unknown and remote period, generally said to be that of the Roman occupation. (2). Hand's Well, Hall Well, Yewtree Well and Town Well are probably 18th century. Coffin Well is virtually impossible to date owing to the absence of architectural details. All are grade II listed. (3). All the wells are in a good state of preservation. Hands Well surveyed at SK 17435249. See G.Ps AO/66/24/3 for Coffin Well, AO/66/24/4 for Town Well, AO/66/24/5 for Yewtree Well, AO/66/24/6 for Hall Well, AO/66/24/7 for Hands Well. (4).
- <1> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR7736 Article in serial: Binnall, P. 1940. 'Holy wells in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 61, pp 56-65. pp 56-65.
- <3> SDR8394 Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. (Prov HHR) Ashbourne RD 1884/11/A Aug. 1961, pp. 44-46. pp 44-46.
- <4> SDR6351 Personal Observation: Baird, J. F1 JB 02-JUN-66.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1756 5232 (7m by 6m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 24 2007 3:37PM