Building record MDR1113 - St Edmund's Church, Ashes Lane, Fenny Bentley
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Fenny Bentley Church is now generally supposed to be dedicated to St Mary Magdalene although formerly the patron saint was Edmund. The church was extensively repaired and considerably enlarged in 1850. The whole building appears to have been reconstructed in the 14th century although the south doorway may be Norman. (1) The church has always been known locally as being dedicated to St Edmund's, as published on the 25" Ordnance Survey map. In normal use. (2) A much renewed structure of early 14th century origin. The tower was rebuilt in 1850 and the north aisle added then. Grade B. (3) When the church was restored in 1850, many of the tiles were found in the rubble of a wall and elsewhere and were re-laid in the Beresford Chantry Chapel. A few years ago the screen of this chapel was removed, and the pavement broken up. Many of the tiles were smashed for concrete, but some were rescued and removed to Bentley Hall. (5) Church contains the 15th century Beresford Tombs, where the shrouded figures of Sir Thomas Bentley (who fought at Agincourt) and his wife (unknown) are displayed. (6)
- <1> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp 465-466.
- <2> SDR6351 Personal Observation: Baird, J. F1 JB 02-JUN-66.
- <3> SDR5071 Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1961. DOE (HHR) Ashbourne Road, Derby.
- <4> SDR9690 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0935. 0935. 0935.
- <5> SDR16160 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1892. 'Notes on the medieval pavements and wall tiles of Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 14, pp 119-140. p 122.
- <6> SDR23387 Photograph: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. 1946. Beresford Tombs in Fenny Bentley Church.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1745 5019 (26m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||FENNY BENTLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2015 8:24AM