First mention of the site is in 1791 when the Candlewick and Tape Factory of Hewitt and Bunting is recorded at Bump Mill. It was probably a newly established business at that time, begun in pre-existing buildings. In 1800 a large fire broke out which destroyed some of the mill; however 'the steam engine, counting house and outbuildings with stock were preserved'. By 1851 the mill employed 260 hands. The 'extensive' candlewick factory is mentioned in 1860; at the same time, mention of a mill for 'the spinning and doubling of Persian Sewing thread' suggests the original works had been extended, creating a complex of mill buildings, together with outbuildings and an engine house. The mill of Hewitt, Bunting & Co was bought by Messrs Robinson in 1896 and the site continued to expand in the first half of the 20th century. The site was finally sold by the Robinson family in September 2002. Assessment of surviving buildings in 2003 found the main historical interest to be those buildings at the western end of the site. These comprise a series of differing building types representing different stages of industrial growth. The early industrial activity seems to have occurred in a linear range along the River Hipper from the late 18th century. These buildings suggest small-scale activity - possibly cottage industries or the beginnings of development of more formal industrialisation. Subsequent activity in the late 18th century evolves around the construction of a range lying at right angles to the Hipper which ends just short of the goyt. It is likely the goyt was being used as the main source of power via a water wheel. It is this form of the early mill (building 7) that comprised the early fire proofing construction details similar to those of Strutt's mills. Later on in the 18th century and into the early 19th century, the range at right angles to the river was extended and raised in height, making further use of the waterpower for candlewick manufacture and cotton spinning. It is probably during this period when the early form of cast iron fireproofing was moved and/or replaced with an additional line of cast iron supports. Further buildings are added to this range, forming an early complex of industrial buildings which are of particular interest as they mark the change from water power to steam power. They also represent the beginning of an era of buildings designed specifically for industrial functions whilst still retaining vernacular architectural details and form. (1)
The mill buildings were designated Grade II* listed in September 2004. (2)
A listed building and archaeological impact statement was produced in 2007 in support of the proposed renovation of Walton Works and its conversion for residential use. As part of the process, existing buildings were surveyed and their suitability for re-use was considered. (3)
Walton 'Bump' Mill was built in the 1790s by partners Hewitt, a linen and woollen draper, and Bunting, a mercer and draper. In 1800 a fire destroyed the building and machinery except for the steam engine. This is probably why the lower courses of this building are in stone and the remainder of the mill is in brick. In the 1840s and 1850s the firm was engaged in cotton spinning, doubling, candlewick manufacture and bleaching. Bleaching was carried out initially off the leat from the River Hipper just below Somersall Park. This was accessed down Wash House Lane and then across Ryeflatt Field. The candlewick thread was then spread out in the open air to bleach on a paved area, where the Foxcote Way estate is now, below Breckland Avenue. The name 'Bump' is derived from an early term for lower quality cotton goods. The stone based section of the mill has a 'fireproof' structure composed of cast iron pillars with cast iron beams supporting a brick and plaster barrel roofing. The section at right-angles is described as an American type 'fireproofing' with similar pillars but with 3" to 4" thick flooring. This section probably dates from 1820-30. Both of these sections have Grade II* Listed status and are to be kept as 'open plan' areas when restoration takes place. (4)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 2/3670/10021.
Unpublished document: P J Livesey Living Space Ltd. 2007. Listed Building and Archaeological Impact Statement. Walton Works, Chesterfield.
Unpublished document: North East Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology Society (NEDIAS). 2014. NEDIAS Newsletter. No. 54. pp. 6-7.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 36769 70701 (154m by 134m)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2020 9:58AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.