The 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880 shows Pilsley Colliery on the west side of the Midland Railway's Pilsley Branch, with Pilsley Siding running off from the branch line to the north-west, up to Green Lane and along the southern side of the colliery. Two kilns are shown at the colliery, as are a number of shafts and air shafts. (1)
By the end of the 19th century there had been some expansion of the colliery. A Clay Pit is named on the 2nd ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map, as is a kiln, Nos. 1, 3 and 3 shafts, and air shafts. (2)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 42509 63086 (639m by 771m)
MORTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
PILSLEY, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2015 4:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.