Scheduled Monument record MDR1116 - Civil War redoubt, 150m east of Tissington Hall, Tissington
Type and Period (1)
- SIEGEWORK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Tissington Hall was garrisoned for the King by its owner, Colonel Fitzherbert, in December 1643. (1,3). This [Tissington Hall] is a very fine example of a siege castle. It is situated in parkland and the only mutilation has been caused by sheep tread. A notice within the adjacent church refers to Tissington being "something of a Royalist sanctuary…" and in 1644 the Parliamentarians routed the Royalists hereabouts. The earthwork is probably of this period. Surveyed at 1:2500. (2,3). Adjoining the churchyard at Tissington on the north side of the church is a very similar earthwork to that at Hathersage [a ring motte] much worn down, with a diameter of about 130 ft. (4). [SK 17645232] Siegework. (5). The earthworks consist of a three-sided ditched and ramparted enclosure. A post-medieval siege work is a likely identification. (6). The monument was scheduled in 1999 and includes the buried and earthwork remains of a Civil War redoubt at Tissington. A redoubt is a fieldwork used during military operations to provide temporary protection for infantry or to act as gun emplacements. The monument is situated on the brow of a hill and affords good views of the main, northern approach road into the village, Tissington Hall and the church. The remains include a three sided square enclosure which measures approximately 28m across. The enclosure is defined by an internal bank, or rampart, which measures up to 0.75m high and 5m wide with an external ditch approximately 3m wide. Another bank runs parallel to the western side of the ditch and measures approximately 5m wide. This would have served to enhance the edge of the ditch on the west side where the land slopes steeply away. Tissington Hall was garrisoned for the king by its owner, Colonel Fitzherbert in December 1643. In 1644 the Parliamentarians routed the Royalists hereabouts but following unsuccessful action near Ashbourne in February 1644, the garrison was withdrawn. (7). Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (9)
- <1> SDR8438 Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia. Vol 5, p 68.
- <2> SDR18814 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Forestry', Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p 374.
- <3> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1936, with sketch.
- <4> SDR6157 Personal Observation: F1 FC 02-DEC-66.
- <5> SDR11928 Map: OS 1:10 000 1978.
- <6> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 149, 154.
- <7> SDR18125 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Notification. 29939. 441.
- <8> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 14313.1-2.
- <9> SDR22245 Unpublished document: Clarke, R (PDNPA). 2012. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Civil War Redoubt.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1763 5232 (80m by 65m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 3:42PM