Bradbourne Mill House was probably first built for the miller who operated the adjacent water-powered corn mill [see SMR 2016]. The original two-storey, two-roomed cottage was built in the 18th century, with extensive improvements and 'gentrification' works carried out in the 19th century. These works may have been carried out soon after the mill came into the ownership of Sir Henry Fitzherbert Bt in 1837 and at a similar time as a second wheel was added to the mill and its output increased. They included a separate kitchen at the west end complete with water pump, fine sink and range, as well as extensions at the rear for salting the pig, dairy-making, toilet and larder, and upstairs room for cheese making, later a bedroom. An extension at the east end was also added in the 19th century. (1)
Unpublished document: Slade, D. 2006. A Survey and Recording Of Bradbourne Mill House, Bradbourne, Ashbourne, Derbyshire. SMR Doc. No. 960.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 20140 52175 (16m by 13m)
BRADBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:45PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.