Residual western end of the substantial Bullbridge gritstone canal aqueduct that formerly took the Cromford Canal across the Ripley-Ambergate road. This part of the aqueduct crosses the footpath from the base of the limekilns to the Bullbridge-Crich road. It also carried the canal high above the River Amber. Although the canal has been filled in, the small wooden lift bridge at this point has been left in situ. The main aqueduct was demolished in the late 1960s as part of a road improvement scheme. (1)
A grade II listed canal embankment built in 1793 by William Jessop and Benjamin Outram. It is built of coursed squared stone, and is approximately 100 feet long and 40 feet high. It has stone retaining walls, with a plain band near the base of the walls and rounded rubble copings. There is a central barrel-vaulted tunnel through the embankment, with rubble arches and buttress-like jambs to the entrances. The southern end of the embankment was truncated during road widening operations in 1970s. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1993. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazeteer of Sites Part III: Borough of Amber Valley. p 25.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109015, Original UID: 79123.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35951 52278 (119m by 170m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.