Berristow Colliery is shown as 'disused' on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of 1880, at which time two shafts and a number of associated buildings, including a smithy, were mapped. However, there is no indication of a shaft or pithead structures on either the Tithe Map or Sanderson's map of1835. The Colliery was evidently a short-lived enterprise, as were so many of the relatively shallow pits of the early and mid-19th century which preceded the period of rapid technological improvement in mining. (1)
Unpublished document: Challis, K & Brown, J (TPAU). 2002. Archaeological Desktop Assessment - Amber Park, South Normanton, Derbyshire. p 14.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 45609 57433 (165m by 85m)
SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2017 11:16AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.