Monument record MDR1119 - Deserted medieval village, south and east of Lea Hall
Type and Period (2)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Lea by Bradbourne was enclosed and abandoned after 1517 and two cases concerning depopulation were heard in the Exchequer. (1,3,9). The earliest documented occupation dates from 1215. (2). Extensive ridge and furrow is evident but there is no trace of desertion around Lea Hall. (4). SK 196517. Listed in deserted medieval village survey. (5). Described as an outstanding example of deserted village earthworks where 24 crofts have been recognised. (7). A detailed survey was carried out but with a text reference only. (8). Part of the earthworks to the south of Lea Hall have been scheduled. The scheduled monument represents the earthwork and buried remains of the abandoned areas of the medieval settlement of Lee by Bradbourne. The site is situated on a steep, east facing slope overlooking Bradbourne Brook and is in two separate areas of protection [see SMR 9101 for the northern area]. The earthworks and buried remains to south and west of Lea Hall include two very distinct crofts separated by a steep slope. They include one or more building platforms and a probable packhorse track. (10). Site monitoring has been carried out. See form for details. (11)
- <1> SDR83 Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M. 1954. Lost Villages of England. p 346.
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p 386.
- <3> SDR7773 Article in serial: Wightman, W E. 1961. 'Open field agriculture in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp 111-125. p 114.
- <4> SDR6351 Personal Observation: Baird, J. F1 JB 02-JUN-66.
- <5> SDR5031 Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M & Hurst, J. 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. p 185.
- <6> SDR1107 Aerial Photograph: OS. 1972. OS 488.72.308.
- <7> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. pp 128-129.
- <8> SDR9006 Article in serial: Medieval settlement Res Gp Ann Rep 1 1986 (1987) 24 plan.
- <9> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1393, 2207.
- <10> SDR16417 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Description: Medieval settlement, including fishpond and open field system, immediately north and 240m south of Lea Cottage Farm. List entry no. 1019405. Cat. no. 453.
- <11> SDR22246 Unpublished document: Clarke, R (PDNPA). 2014. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Medieval settlement including fish pond + open field system, Immediately North 240m of Lea Cottage Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1952 5174 (352m by 321m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LEA HALL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2014 2:23PM