Monument record MDR1120 - Barrow (unknown location or site of), Thorpe Cloud, Thorpe
Type and Period (2)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CROUCHED INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
An apparently large barrow on a natural mound, in a clump of trees, crowning a hill on the Derbyshire side of the Dove near Thorpe Cloud. It was opened on the 3rd April 1848. A crouched skeleton was found near the centre in a rock grave and slightly higher was another skeleton with "some neatly ornamented pieces of a vase of this Celtic ware". (1) The monument was not located [in 1966]. (2) Listed by Challis and Harding as a large barrow with skeleton in rock grave and a secondary inhumation with 'Celtic Ware' under 'First Millennium BC Burials'. (3) The beaker mentioned by Authors 1 and 3 is listed in Clarke's corpus as fragmentary and of indeterminate grouping. Sheffield Museum, N.83. Corpus no.127. (4) Bateman described 'a barrow of apparently large size situate in a clump of trees crowning an eminence on the Derbyshire side of the Dove, near Thorpe Cloud'. It utilised a natural knoll and there was very little artificial material. Near the centre of the barrow was a rock cut grave, approximately 0.6m deep, with a contracted inhumation lying on its left side. Slightly higher up, possibly in the grave, was another inhumation which may have been disturbed by tree planting. This inhumation was associated with sherds of beaker pottery. The only extant site on the upland north of Thorpe Cloud is 9.16 (SMR 14310) which is within a small plantation. However it is at a distance from Thorpe Cloud on a hill known as Cromwell's Low (Ordnance Survey 1st edition map). If Bateman was describing SMR 14310 he would probably have used that name. It is thus likely the site of the 1848 excavations was nearer Thorpe Cloud and, as the site was largely natural, it may well survive. (7)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 27-28.
- <2> SDR6351 Personal Observation: Baird, J. F1 JB 02-JUN-66.
- <3> SDR2441 Monograph: Challis, A & Harding, W. 1975. 'Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne', British Archaeological Report 20. Part 2. p p57.
- <4> SDR3980 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D. 1970. Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland. pp 478.
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1877.
- <6> SDR8270 Unpublished document: Lewis, G (University of Liverpool). 1970. The Bronze Age in the Southern Pennines. pp 382.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 9:36.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 151 510 (327m by 295m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||THORPE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2016 11:07AM