Listed Building record MDR11213 - Former St Helena's Secondary School, Sheffield Road, Chesterfield
Type and Period (3)
- SECONDARY SCHOOL (Early 20th Century to Cold War - 1911 AD to 1991 AD?)
- OFFICE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1991 AD? to 2016 AD?)
- CAMPUS (21st Century - 2016 AD? to 2050 AD)
Former St Helena's Secondary School, Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, built in 1911. 'St Helena School for Girls, Sheffield Road, forms a contrast with the boys' school, characteristic of many boys' and girls' schools. It was built in 1911 by G H Widdows (County Architect) in brick, with a cupola, and a mixture of Baroque and Tudor motifs.' (1) 'Formerly St Helena's Secondary School, Sheffield Road. 1909. Now Education Department resource and school support offices . Tall, impressive three-storey building.' (2) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SHEFFIELD ROAD 1. 5169 (East Side) Chesterfield Saint Helena School SK 3871 NW 5/172 II GV 2. 1911. Architect George H Widdows. Baroque and Jacobean influence Red brick with stone dressings. Tiled roof. Plan basically a St Andrews Cross with north south wings across centre and along road facade, the latter of 2½ storeys with 3 gables. Centre has canted stone porch with short piers at angles resting on low wall forming base of porch. Above, a canted stone bay with parapet and leaded windows with mullions and transom. Outer 2 storey bays recessed but at ground floor level wall with round window and shaped stone coped parapet. Similar walls links this block with ends of 2 western radial blocks, 4 round windows. At outer ends, entrance doors with arched doorway, blank roundel above flanked by swags and shaped top to doorcase. Centre wing has cupola. Radial wings have hipped roofs with double modillion eaves cornice. Generally 4 windows including 2 storey brick bay, dormer above. Sashes of 1, 2 and 3 lights, gauged red brick arches with stone keys. An unusual and successful design. Listing NGR: SK3836971565.' (3)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. 145.
- <2> SDR19992 Unpublished document: Morrison, A B. 2004. Surviving Widdows Buildings in Derbyshire. 2.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1334733.
|Grid reference||SK 38369 71565 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2022 8:37PM