Tupton Hall was an extraordinary survival into the mid-twentieth century: a small, neat, early seventeenth century North Midlands tower house probably attributable to John or Robert Smythson. It was built in 1611 for Yorkshireman Henry Gladwin and his wife Helen. Built of ashlar from the Alton-Ashover area, the house was of three and five storeys facing south, and stood in a park of some 50 acres. The facades were altered in the 18th century, and most of the windows were replaced by sashes. The Gothick service wing lay to the north and connected to a farmyard of 18th century date, set around a courtyard. The house was drawn in detail and photographed in 1929 when it was acquired by Derbyshire County Council. It was adapted to form part of a school, but burnt down a few years later, and during World War II was cleared away and replaced by a new school building. (1)
Tupton Hall Secondary School. 1933. Open timber verandahs to a much altered and greatly extended, unimportant brick building. To be demolished in 2003/4. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. pp 212-3.
Unpublished document: Morrison, A B. 2004. Surviving Widdows Buildings in Derbyshire. p 2.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 39371 65117 (146m by 129m)
TUPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 1 2021 10:45AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.