Garford Lilley & Brother, Tapes, Agard Street. Small three storey block of eight bays in brick with gabled slate roof and cast-iron windows backing on to the Markeaton Brook. Small separate engine house with an octagonal brick chimney backing on to the watercourse. Currently disused but within a development scheme for residential conversion. (1) Information from Authority 3 would seem to dispute the owhership suggested here.
The archaeological and historical value of the block of land bounded by Agard Street, Searl Street, Bridge Street, and the Markeaton Brook was assessed by John Samuels Archaeological Consultants for Miller Homes Ltd in 2000/2001. On the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1882 the central portion of this area is depicted with access from Agard Street via a vaulted passage, and comprises an open yard and at least one range, perhaps more, depicted on earlier maps; these ranges are labelled 'Lace Factory' . The Ordnance Survey maps of 1901 and 1914 show the area little changed, but on the 1947 Ordnance Survey map the general layout of the factory and associated buildings to the east is replaced by new, larger, possibly industrial, buildings. The 1967 Ordnance Survey map marks these buildings as 'Tape Mill. The 2000 Derby Explorer map shows the western buildings replaced by a newly built industrial unit, although the eastern buildings are largely unchanged. (2)
As part of a report in 2006 on the buildings of Agard Street Mill, the historical and cartographic evidence for the area bounded by Agard Street, Searl Street, Bridge Street, and the Markeaton Brook is reviewed by CgMs Consulting. The Board of Health map of 1852 is the first to show buildings erected on this area; two long ranges may indicate the mill or factory buildings which are also shown on early Ordnance Survey maps, but were entirely replaced by 1947. Conflicting evidence as to the history of ownership and development of the site was resolved by Nicholas Green who stated that his father, Albert Green, bought the land and previous mill structures early in the 20th century, and constructed the current mill and associated buildings following the destruction of the original building by fire in the 1920s. The Green family continued to occupy the site as a textile mill until its sale at the start of the 21st century. At the time of the building recording (2006?) it was derelict. (3)
A watching brief was conducted by CgMs Consulting in 2006 during demolition of the mill and redevelopment of the site at Former Albert Street Mill. No features, or finds, of archaeological interest were observed. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 26.
Unpublished document: Gadsby, M (JSAC). 2002. An archaeological desk-based assessment of land at Agard Street, Derby City Centre.
Unpublished document: Cgms. 2006. Historic Buildings Record: The Former Albert Green Mills, Agard Street, Derby.
Unpublished document: Cgms. 2006. An Archaeological watching Brief Report: Land at the Former Albert Green Mill site, Agard Street, Derby.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34604 36585 (59m by 57m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 10:06PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.