The first mention of the chapel at Parwich occurs in the Endowment Charter of the Vicarage of Ashbourne, made in 1240. The church, which stood more than seven centuries, was pulled down in 1872 and then re-built. The doorway, archway leading to the chancel and arches that separated the north aisle from the chancel were Norman. The font was also Norman in date. (1).
The 19th century church at Parwich retains the original Norman doorway, tympanum and chancel arch. Some 12th to 13th century features within the church as well as grave slabs in the churchyard. (2). (SK 18845434) St. Peter's Church. (3)
In normal use. (4)
Grade II* listed Church built in 1873-4 by Stevens & Robinson and incorporating 12th century parts. It was constructed of coursed squared rock-faced limestone with rock-faced and ashlar sandstone dressings, used to give a polychromatic effect. [See list for full description]. (7)
Following conservation treatment of the Norman tympanum in the 1980s, its condition was assessed in 2001 and again in 2005. It was found to have deteriorated, with a significant loss of detail. The main cause of decay appears to be exposure to driving rain and wind. (8)
The medieval church was replaced by the present St Peter's by Robinson and Stevens in 1873-74, but in rock-faced local grey Dinantian limestone for the walling with Namurian sandstone dressings. Fortunately they incorporated the original north doorway and tympanum into the west doorway of the tower and re-used the chancel arch and two capitals, one each side nearest the arch; the capitals are in dolomitised limestone and the chancel arch is of alternating light and dark fine-grained sandstones. (9)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. The Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. 2. pp 158-159. pp 406-410..
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p199.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 404.0-37.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Unpublished document: Conservation Technologies (National Museums, Liverpool). 2005. Condition Survey of Tympanum, St Peters Church, Parwich, Derbyshire.
Bibliographic reference: Stanley, M. 1990. Carved in bright stone: sources of building stone in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1883 5435 (29m by 15m) (Centre)
PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2015 1:38PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.