? (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Chapel Wheel was sited to the east of Eckington, adjacent to the Chesterfield Canal. It is referred to, but not shown, on a map of 1814 which shows a short stretch of the canal, with a weir apparently taking water off to Chapel Wheel. It is also mentioned in a note made by the Sheffield surveyor Josiah Fairbank in 1822 about a certain William Hewitt who had encroached on Crown Land: "… he is now run away for breaking into Chapel Wheel, got down the Chimney …". (1)
Chapel Wheel is shown on the 1st ed. 25" OS map, which also suggests that the mill pond was partly silted up by that time. (2) The mill building appears to have been demolished by the end of the 19th century, as it is not shown on the 2nd ed. 25" OS map. (3)
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1996. The Value of the Fairbank Collection as a Resource for the Study of Landscape Change (in) Eckington. p 79.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XIX.1.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XIX.1, 1898.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 44261 79249 (234m by 158m)
ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2014 12:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.