Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR11271 - Ashgate School, Ashbourne Road, Derby

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1850 AD? to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

1st ed. OS 25" map of c.1880 shows the northern L-shaped 'School' building, with a 'Playground' to the south. (1) All the buildings of the present school are shown on the 2nd ed. OS 25" map of c.1900. (2) Ashgate Junior School, formerly an Infant School is dated 1879 and was built by Thomas Coulthurst, Borough Surveyor of Derby. There are minor 20th century additions and alterations. It is built from red brick with blue brick, moulded brick and ashlar dressings in a Gothic Revival Style. The roofs are built from Welsh slate and are gabled and hipped. There is Polychrome brick and stone work with buttresses and coped gables. The windows are mainly original glazing bar sashes. The central block is a double range of 2 storeys, with 2-storey wings to the east and west. The major cross wing to west has a projecting gable and square corner tower. The central block has a projecting central gable with 4-light windows on each floor, and a plate-traceried round window above. On each side there are two 2-light windows. The wings each have two pointed arched doors, one blocked, and 2-light windows above. The projecting right gable has 5-light windows on each floor, and a plate-traceried round window above. The corner tower is in 3 stages and has clasping buttresses and machiolations. There is a pointed arched doorway and above this are 2-light windows to the front and rear. Above again there are recessed panels, each with a traceried round window. The single storey rear wing of 5 bays has regular fenestration and a hipped cross wing. The rear elevation has mainly regular fenestration, with mid 20th century 2-storey additions to the right and left. The internal classrooms have matchboard dadoes with quatrefoil ornament, framed doorcases and original 6-panel doors. Some have framed window surrounds and one has a half-glazed folding partition. The open well stairs have cast iron balustrades with additional guard rails. The first floor hall has an arch braced roof, ceiled-in in the mid 20th century. The cloakroom has a moulded span beam on corbels, with a cast iron column. The former science or craft room is now the dining hall, is dated 1895 and built by Robert Harrison with late 20th century alterations. It is single storey with slate roofs and terracotta ridge tiles. The steel bar tension roof has clerestorey lights running the length of the ridge with 12 windows on each side. The boundary wall, railings and gates were built in 1879 by Thomas Coulthurst from red brick with ashlar dressings. There are 3 single cast iron gates with moulded brick piers, plinths and chamfered capitals. The plinth wall has chamfered ashlar copings, the railings were renewed in the mid 20th century. One panel of cast iron railing, matching the gates, survives at the west end. The railings and gates are part of the original architectural scheme and match the school buildings. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1067381.



Grid reference Centred SK 33989 36593 (52m by 99m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 2 2024 4:09PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.