Monument record MDR11284 - Hand's Well, Tissington
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
There are five wells at Tissington, all of which are dressed annually on Ascension Day, the custom at Tissington dating from an unknown and remote period, generally said to be that of the Roman occupation. (1). (SK 17835227) Hand's Well - named on map. (2). Hand's Well is probably 18th century and is grade II listed. (3). All the wells are in a good state of preservation. Hands Well surveyed at SK 17435249. See G.P. AO/66/24/7 for Hands Well. (4).
- <1> SDR7736 Article in serial: Binnall, P. 1940. 'Holy wells in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 61, pp 56-65.
- <2> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <3> SDR8394 Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. (Prov HHR) Ashbourne RD 1884/11/A Aug. 1961, pp. 44-46.
- <4> SDR6351 Personal Observation: Baird, J. F1 JB 02-JUN-66.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 17427 52487 (6m by 5m)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2007 2:24PM