Monument record MDR11286 - Town Well, Tissington
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Town Well is probably 18th century and is grade II listed. (1). There are five wells at Tissington, all of which are dressed annually on Ascension Day, the custom at Tissington dating from an unknown and remote period, generally said to be that of the Roman occupation. (2). (SK 17835227) Town Well - named on map. (3). All the wells are in a good state of preservation. See G.P. AO/66/24/4 for Town Well. (4).
- <1> SDR8394 Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. (Prov HHR) Ashbourne RD 1884/11/A Aug. 1961, pp. 44-46.
- <2> SDR7736 Article in serial: Binnall, P. 1940. 'Holy wells in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 61, pp 56-65.
- <3> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <4> SDR6351 Personal Observation: Baird, J. F1 JB 02-JUN-66.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 17748 52209 (5m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2007 2:20PM