Listed Building record MDR11288 - The Butchers Arms, Hands Road, Heanor and Loscoe
Type and Period (1)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Georgian to 21st Century - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD)
The Butchers Arms, Hands Road, Heanor and Loscoe, an early 19th century building. Map evidence confirms that the building was not present in the late 18th century, as it is not shown on a map of 1791, although the frontage of the plot was occupied at that time by two small buildings. (1) The Butchers Arms is mentioned in Kelly's Directory of 1891, but is not named in White's Directory of 1857. This may be because it was called something different in 1857, or it may not have been in use as a Public House at this time. (2-3) A photograph of The Butchers Arms taken in c1891 shows the building as having 8 over 8 pane sashes (with 4 over 8 pane sashes on the top floor), instead for the current four-pane sashes. (4) From the National Heritage for England: 'SK 44 NW HEANOR AND LOSCOE HANDS ROAD, Heanor (north side) 6/28 Butchers Arms II Public House. Early C19 with later additions and alterations. Stucco brick with red brick for additions. Slate roof with brick end stacks part way down the front pitch of the roof and moulded timber cornice. 3 storeys and 3 bays with single storey bay to left and 2 storey, 2 bay addition to right. Entrance via C20 gabled porch to left of right addition. Three 4 pane sashes in moulded architraves with projecting sills to each floor. Wide first floor bond at lintel level of ground floor windows. Bay to left with similar 4-pane sash. Addition to right with 2 C20 windows to ground floor and blocked opening above. Listing NGR: SK4420246365.' (5)
- <1> SDR20036 Map: 1792. A Map of the Township of Heanor in the County of Derby. Traced copy by F Harrison.
- <2> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. 272-277.
- <3> SDR20859 Bibliographic reference: 1891. Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland. 227-229.
- <4> SDR20065 *Internet Web Site: Picture the Past. www.picturethepast.org.uk. Image Ref: DCAV002179.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1158561?section=official-list-entry.
|Grid reference||SK 44202 46365 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HEANOR AND LOSCOE, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 4 2023 4:28PM