The north eastern range of farm buildings at Dalley Farm are a Grade II* L-shaped range of early and later 19th century buildings constructed from ashlar with slate roofs. The northern building is a hay barn that has an open front with the roof supported on a pierced shallow arched iron beam and iron posts with the ironwork dated 1867. The corner building is an open fronted cart shed with a double row of vents in the south wall that suggest it may also have been intended for storage. The north end of the roof is supported on a stone corbel, the south end wall is cut away providing an open corner for better access with the overhanging roof here supported on a massive iron bracket. To the east and adjoining the rear wall of the cartshed is a shelter shed at a lower level due to the sloping ground. This has an arcaded front with stone pillars and corbels. The end bays are now partly filled in by low stone walls. (1)
Dalley Farm farmstead lies close to Crossroads and though it was constructed predominantly early in the 19th century it was created from an existing 17th century building. The farm was not in Strutt ownership in 1819. The farm contains numerous features of design and construction which are characteristic of the Strutt model farms: the stone vaulted ceilings and flag floors for fire protection; the systems for moving feed stores to feed mixing; the iron roof supports and the unique range for housing wet grain. The building complex planned around two yards with an L-shaped group to the north east is for the most part constructed of stone with slate roofs. The L-shaped group consists of a four bay shelter shed with a flagged floor opening onto a yard. Stone pillars with cushion capitals support the roof. One central pillar supports the ridge. The west-facing range comprises a hay house open to the west and a four-bay hay barn with an open front supported on a pierced shallow-arched iron beam with iron posts dating from 1876. The north-south range comprises a threshing barn with a wooden threshing floor and straw barn above, a wet grain store with some brick construction and a cow byre with six feeding hatches into the feeding passage. To the north there is a three-storey block under east-west facing gables, containing mixing rooms below and a feed store above. The ceiling is stone vaulted and the ground and first floors are flagged. Round holes in the floor with metal trap doors allow feed to be dropped through to the mixing room. One of these holes is over a stone mixing trough in the angle between the east-west range of cow-sheds dividing the yard. The roof is supported on semi-circular arches by cruciform-section iron pillars. The later brick-built wet grain store contains nine feed bins for the storage of wet grains for cattle feed with nine stone-framed pitching holes to the east and west allowing for the delivery of grain and wide, iron-framed, openings onto a passage allowing for shovelling out. The northern cow-house has stone gables and brick south wall and features a mixture of small original metal windows and later larger ones which cut through the rows of ventilation slits. Iron cruciform-section pillars support the roof of the hay house. Another cow-house divides the north and south yard and abuts the ashlar carriage entry that links the house to the farm buildings. This carriage entry is of buff-coloured stone rather than the original pink stone and is a later insertion to increase the status of the building. A further cow house which forms the east side of the northern yard is built of brick with a walkway supported on brick and stone columns. (2)
By 1826 the Strutts owned a large amount of land in and around Belper, including at least four farms. The layout of these farmsteads owed less to conventional pattern books than an understanding of the work flows of factories. The most impressive surviving examples are Moscow Farm (now converted into houses) [SMR 28733], Crossroads Farm [SMR 17012], Wyver Farm [SMR 28724] and Dalley Farm. They all contain the same innovative features which so interested the Strutts in their factory design - ventilation ducts, iron framing, stone floors and vaulting for fire proofing. The lack of symmetrical formal layout does not detract from the 'planned' nature of the farms, but rather increases the interest of these innovative designs. Dalley Farm was probably built in the 1830s. Arrangements include inclined walkways for barrowing feed and a mixing room below a feed store with cylindrical chutes through the floor to deliver food to mixing troughs. The roofs are supported by iron trusses and the ceilings between floors are vaulted. The buildings are well ventilated using cast-iron ventilation grills. (3, 4)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1087431.
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 70, illust..
Bibliographic reference: Wade Martins, S. 2002. The English Model Farm. Building the Agricultural Ideal, 1700-1914. pp 94-100.
Article in serial: Wade Martins, S, Menuge, A and Storer, A. 2003. 'The Strutt farms of the Derwent Valley, Derbyshire', Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group. Volume 17, pp 11-35.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.