Goods shed built by the Alderwasley wireworks company in 1883 as part of the development of Johnson's sidings. There is a datestone with the initials R.J&N (R. Johnson & Nephew). The building is constructed of rubble gritstone with punched ashlar dressings. There are large steel lintels and wide double doors, altered for wireworks. The original loco/wagon entrance for covered unloading has been altered, as has the original entrance to the south side, which has been widened. The north side opening has been blocked up but is still intact. The roof is part slate, part corrugated fibre cement sheet. The building is in good condition and has recently been re-roofed and repaired. (1)
Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. Gazetteer.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3420 5237 (22m by 25m)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.