Monument record MDR11298 - Lister's Farm (site of), Little Chester

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Extensive documentary research shows that this was one of three houses built to farm the prebendal estates in Derby of the Subdean of Lincoln in the Middle Ages. In 1547 the estates were appropriated by the Crown and assigned to the town of Derby. By 1581 the estate was divided into three farms and various smaller parcels of land. The three farmhouses were ranged along the south side of Old Chester Road within the Roman defensive walls, and were shown by William Stukeley and later cartographers until 1852, by which time the middle farmhouse, here called Lister's Farm, and its outbuildings, had been demolished. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Article in serial: D'Arcy, J. 2004. 'The manor and prebendal lands of Little Chester, Derby', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 124, pp 285-303.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 35345 37498 (point)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Oct 9 2017 11:59AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.