Monument record MDR113 - Round barrow (lost, approximate site of), Earl Sterndale, Hartington Middle Quarter
Type and Period (3)
- ROUND BARROW (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- GRAVE (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
Dimensions- diamater is 11m, height is 0.3m. One of a line of three small unlocated barrows described as being on the summit of hills between the Buxton-Ashbourne road and Church Sterndale. This description suggests an area somewhere north of Hurdlow, towards Dow Low, probably within the area of Dow Low quarry. This mound was opened by T Bateman on 7th July 1849, and covered an extended female Anglian inhumation in a rock cut grave, accompanied by an iron knife, a thread box with a sliding lid, two bronze pins and the remains of a chateline. This material dates to the 7th century. (1, 3-6) Bateman states that it is in a field called 'Top of the Hurst'. The Barrow was earthen and the grave oriented east to west. The small items were in a hazel basket. (7)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp. 52-54.
- <2> SDR13770 Unpublished document: Bateman, T. Descriptions of, and Observations on, Further Discoveries in the Barrows of Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR12503 Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7. pp. 15-52.
- <4> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p. 46.
- <6> SDR9706 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 1088. 1088.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:48.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 095 674 (681m by 323m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2019 4:02PM