Monument record MDR1130 - Lid Low Barrow, Spend Lane, Thorpe
Type and Period (3)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A barrow 'in the neighbourhood of Thorpe [called Lid Lowe]' was 'disturbed' by villagers in 1844. Three human skeletons [including one female] were found. In December 1845 the barrow was 'opened' by Mr Price and a [probably crouched] skeleton of a man, a small urn (rim diameter of 4 inches) and the bones of a dog were found enclosed in a cist of three upright stones. The dimensions of the barrow were recorded as 24ft in width and 36ft in length. In the mound human teeth and a horse tooth were found. (1). This barrow has been sited at SK 16235078 and was described as ploughed down to one foot in height. (2). Listed in surveys. (2,3). The mound lies within a field of prominent, broad ridge and furrow and this ploughing has severely modified the shape of the mound. A central pit with upcast to the south is presumably from Price's excavation on the 23rd December 1845, in which a male inhumation, dog bones and a small 'urn' were uncovered. The skeleton and urn were in a cist of three upright stones in the centre of the barrow which measured 'not more than 3 ft [0.9m] each way', which suggests the skeleton was contracted. Elsewhere in the trench the teeth of a young person, one of an adult and a horse tooth were found. (5).
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. pp 95-96.
- <3> SDR15736 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz c1980 5 TVARC 2225.
- <4> SDR9926 Index: NDAT. 1879. 1879. 1879.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 9:18.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1994: 13908.1-6.
- <7> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1994: 499.9A-14A.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1628 5078 (68m by 50m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||THORPE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2010 1:43PM