Building record MDR11302 - Guildhall, Market Place, Derby

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1828 AD to 1842 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The 18th century Guildhall lasted until 1828, when a property a little to the south, within the ring of buildings surrounding the Market Place, became vacant, was purchased, and a replacement Guildhall with market area behind was designed and built, thus opening up the Market Place. Some fittings, including the clock and weather vane, were transferred from the old to the new Guildhall. The clock and weather vane were destroyed by the fire that ravaged Habershon's replacement building in October 1841. The Guildhall built to replace that destroyed by fire incorporates part of the fabric of its predecessor, and was completed in 1842 to designs by Derby-born Henry Duesbury, of Duesbury & Lee of London; it survives. (1) The Guildhall dates from 1828 and was designed by Matthew Habershon. Following a fire the interior and facade were remodelled in 1842 by Duesbury and Lee and the clock tower added. It is built from ashlar and is 5 storeys high. The ground storey is rusticated and there are slightly projecting bays at either side, each having pilaster sides and 1 sash window in a moulded architrave. There is a square tower projecting at the centre which has a tall arcaded upper stage with cupola and clock face on the front and sides, on either side of the tower at the 1st storey is a panel of relief sculpture by John Bell; plain frieze, moulded eaves cornice and blocking course surmounted by 4 urns. The ground storey has a cobbled covered-way at the centre which is flanked by cast iron columns and leads to the Market Hall at the rear. (2) The vaulted entrance to the Guildhall is supported upon cast iron columns of epic proportions. The former council chambers inside is a fine space with an elaborately coffered plaster ceiling, converted in 1971 in to an intimate theatre. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Article in serial: Craven, M. 2005. 'Derby's eighteenth-century Guildhall', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 125, pp 138-151. pp 147-9, Fig. 8.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1228604.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Derby Civic Society. 2004. Derby Heritage Buildings.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 35301 36287 (34m by 37m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 16 2021 4:04PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.