Archaeological trial-trenching and excavation were undertaken during 2003-4 at King Street, Derby (centred on SK 352 367) by Birmingham Archaeology on behalf of Birchover Properties in advance of residential development. The earliest phase of activity, demonstrated by a group of pits, a post-hole alignment and a cluster of hearths, pre-dated 1150, and may have been related to clothmaking. By the end of the 12th century industrial activity had ceased on the site, and the area was given over to cultivation. A series of pits were dated to the 17th or 18th century; one pit contained fragments of hops, suggesting small-scale brewing on the site, and the remains of fruit and vegetables, suggesting that the area formed part of a cultivated garden or allotment at this time. In the 19th century the area contained a brick building, mapped in 1852; it was used for an industrial purpose, possibly the casting of metal. (1)
Article in serial: Bain, K (Birmingham Archaeology). 2006. 'Late Saxon and Medieval Derby: Excavations at King Street, Derby, 2004', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 126, pp 46-81. Figs 1-13, Tables 1-2.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35203 36724 (58m by 36m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:24AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.