Monument record MDR11313 - Churchyard, St Alkmund's Church, Duffield
Type and Period (1)
(Medieval to Post Medieval - 1300 AD to 1900 AD)
World Heritage Site
Loading documents & images
The situation of the churchyard on the banks of the Derwent is picturesque in the extreme, and a fine yew tree of extreme age is to be seen to the north-east of the church. Against the trunk of this tree, and partly buried in the ground, leans a slab of alabaster. This is the lower half of an incised gravestone … this slab, before the restoration of the church in 1847, was on the floor of the west end of the nave, when it was barbarously broken up and ejected. Two other small fragments of the stone we found built into a paved drain with which the church is surrounded. (1)
Map evidence indicates that the western boundary of St Alkmund's churchyard was extended some 10m-15m westwards when the railway was constructed. (2-4)
The late 18th century gatepiers at the north west entrance to the churchyard are Grade II listed. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. p 140.
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1311587.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3495 4276 (119m by 85m)
DUFFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2023 6:32PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.