Stone horse trough standing at the junction of Church Lane and Lime Lane in Morley. The inscription reads: 'THE GIFT OF THE RECTOR C.J. BODEN AND HIS SISTER TO COMMEMORATE THE DIAMOND JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA 1897'. The trough originally included a headstone with a lion fountain, basin and metal drinking cup. However, the trough was damaged by a services vehicle during WWII, and all that remains are two horse troughs, one in line with the other. The water supply to the trough is via a pipe emerging near steps of a footpath leading to the church, and is drawn from a spring. The dimensions of the troughs are approximately 8ft in length, 2ft in with and 1 ft in depth. (1)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 13.1, with photo and sketch.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 39621 40850 (point)
MORLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 15 2012 11:04AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.