Monument record MDR11316 - Churchyard, St Matthew's Church, Morley
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCHYARD (Medieval to Late 20th Century - 1100 AD to 2000 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD to 1799 AD)
- None recorded
Churchyard surrounding the medieval church [SMR 23412] at Morley. The extent of the medieval churchyard is not known; however, comparison of historic maps suggests that the churchyard was extended at least twice in the 19th century and again to the north in the 20th century. The churchyard contains a churchyard cross, later made into a sundial [see SMR 23411] and a late 19th century mausoleum [see SMR 23427]. It also contains a piece of gritstone walling, said to be remains of the old manor house [see SMR 23419]. (1) In the churchyard to the east of the church is a vintage sweet chestnut tree. (2) An archaeological watching brief was carried out in 2009 during groundworks associated with the construction of a store and WC at the northern end of the churchyard, and also the associated service installation. The earliest pottery recovered from the site dated to the 13th to 15th centuries. It was, however, impossible to establish whether or not this pottery was residual. Three stone-built structures, possibly remains of wall foundations, and a metalled surface were located towards the northern end of the site, to the northwest of the church and tithe barn and were left in situ. These features were not directly dateable, however the layers sealing them dated to the 17th to 18th century, suggesting a possible date of demolition. (3)
- <1> SDR19557 Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <2> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 20.1, with photos.
- <3> SDR21790 Unpublished document: Duncan, M (Birmingham Archaeology). 2009. St Matthew's Church, Morley, Derbyshire: Archaeological Watching Brief. HER Doc. No. 1526.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 39656 40949 (75m by 91m)|
|Civil Parish||MORLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 5 2014 2:58PM