? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
The lowest mill on the Repton Brook belonged to the Priory which was founded in Repton in about 1170 and was dissolved in 1538. An indenture dated 1539 notes that property purchased by Thomas Thacker included 'a water-mill adjoining the monastery'. It is not clear when the mill disappeared but its existence is noted on a plaque on an arch on the school wall at Brook End which reads: 'Under this arch once flowed the water to the Priory mill. The arch was moved nine yards to the present position in March 1905'. (1, 2)
A map of Repton dated 1829 shows a watercourse running across the former precinct grounds, broadened out in its centre to form a long narrow pond. This may represent the approximate course of the former mill leat. (3)
Article in serial: Gifford, A. 1993. 'Watermills on the Repton Brook', Wind & Water Mills. Number 12, pp 2-9. p 8.
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B48, p 96.
Map: 1829. Plan of the parish of Repton in two parts. DRO, D2375 M/170/5 (Microfilm XM 7/1). 1 inch = 6 chains.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 30459 27228 (148m by 230m)
REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 4:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.