Skip to main content

Monument record MDR1134 - Mounds, Saint's Low, Parwich

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Two mounds located in a low situation near a small watercourse near Parwich in a field called Saint's Low. The smaller mound was sectioned by Thomas Bateman on the 6th August 1849. There was no evidence of antiquity and were abandoned, the larger not being opened. (1). SK 175541 Saints Low. Two large confluent mounds, the largest to the east, which are probably natural. (2,3). Barnatt records that at this site were two large mounds, noted by Bateman but concluded by him to be natural. (4). As the precise location of these mounds is unknown, their approximate location has been plotted on the map. (5).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p61.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p83.
  • <3> Index: NDAT. 1696. 1696.
  • <4> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:L.
  • <5> Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..



Grid reference Centred SK 174 540 (101m by 99m) (Multiple Site Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3807

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 23 2015 9:51AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.