The buildings at Newhaven House Hotel comprise the hotel and three associated buildings which provided stabling and accommodation for coaches, all of them grouped regularly around a yard. The core of the hotel is formed by a three-storeyed stone-built inn, three bays wide and two rooms deep, which was built in the mid 18th century but incorporated under one corner the stone-vaulted cellar of an earlier building of probable 17th century date. The inn, close to the mid-point of the road between Ashbourne and Buxton and to junctions with roads to Bakewell and Cromford, was recorded as having been 'a mean public house' prior to 1795 when the Duke of Devonshire enlarged it into what was described as 'a large, handsome and commodious inn, where travellers meet with every requisite accommodation'. As well as the extensions and improvements to the inn, a combined stable and coach house and a separate coach house were built on opposite sides of the yard to its rear. In the early 19th century the north end of the yard was closed by a stable block. The buildings were all renovated in the late 1990s. (1)
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.