Eight samples were taken from cruck trusses in Hill Top Farm in order to carry out tree ring dating. This provided a felling date range of 1588 to 1623, with a likely felling date of c. 1603. (1)
The earliest features in the present building are three pairs of full crucks which date from the late 16th or early 17th century. The evidence suggests that these crucks are in situ and that the building of which they formed a part was originally two storeys high and four bays long. The present walls, which are of coursed limestone rubble, appear to be a re-cladding of the original building and date to the later 17th century. In the late 18th century the building was extensively refurbished, with new hearths being provided in either gable and a re-fenestration of the main range. A single two-storey bay was added in the mid-19th century. The building was surveyed in August 1990 at which time it was stripped out and undergoing a comprehensive refurbishment. (2)
Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Initial Report 26 November 1990.
Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1992. Historic Building Report, Hill Top Farm, Hartington Nether Quarter, Derbyshire. SMR Doc. No. 696.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.