Building record MDR11357 - Stuffynwood Farm, Shirebrook
Type and Period (4)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1570 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1570 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
Stuffynwood Farmhouse is probably of late 16th century date with later alterations and additions. The first build was of mixed construction, being of stone on the ground floor and timber-framed on the first floor. Two-and-a-half bays of this structure survive at the southern end of the present house. The north cell is of a separate build and probably dates from the mid- to late 18th century. It is likely that it represents a rebuilding of a pre-existing structure on the same site. Other later alterations, dating from the late 18th and early 19th centuries, include the casing of the upper floor in stone, the creations of attics and the addition of a wash house and supplementary domestic accommodation in lean-tos at the rear. To the north and west of the house are farm buildings mainly of 18th and 19th century date. A large barn, perhaps the earliest of the farm buildings, forms one side of a foldyard, with single-storeyed cowhouses attached to the south. The foldyard has a later roof over it. A range continuing north from the house is partly ruinous but retains a two-storeyed building at the north end, the upper floor of which is used as a pigeon loft, having a triangular recess for pigeon holes in the north wall. The ground floor may have been a stable. A northern range of single-storeyed buildings includes a cart shed and, at the east end, a smithy still retaining its forge. (1) Eight samples were taken from timbers in the house in order to carry out dendochronological dating. Analysis of the samples provided a felling date of 1460. (2)
- <1> SDR20228 Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1992. Historic Building Report, Stuffynwood Farmhouse, Stuffynwood Lane, Shirebrook, Derbyshire. SMR Doc. No. 697.
- <2> SDR4471 Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Initial Report 5 December 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 52400 65841 (65m by 78m)|
|Civil Parish||SHIREBROOK, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2018 12:09PM