Derby Racecourse was laid out in 1845 in an area partly known as The New Pastures or Cowsley Fields. The site was not built on previously, and within the oval area bounded by the racetrack the field pattern persisted, along with a pre-existing footpath running east-west, the line of which continues to this day. Horse racing started in 1848 and was organised by the Derby Recreational Company. A fine grandstand was built to the south-east of the track, designed by Derby architect Henry Duesbury. The southern part of the oval was used as a cricket ground from the 1860s. By the 1880s a rifle range also made use of the site, with butts off to the north-east of the Racecourse, as shown on the 25" Ordnance Survey map of 1882. The Racecourse was the original home of Derby County football club, used by them between 1884 and 1895. Racing stopped in 1939, and the Racecourse was used by the army for the duration of World War II. The racecourse was not reopened after the war, and instead football pitches were laid out for a new public park; preparatory work led to the uncovering of Roman remains. (1)
Unpublished document: Sheppard, R (TPAU). 2006. An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment of Derby Racecourse.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 36231 37229 (525m by 1820m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 18 2023 1:05PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.