Derby Racecourse was used by the army for the duration of World War II. An encampment was constructed, anti-aircraft batteries built, and anti-aircraft barrage balloons were moored in the grounds. An east-west footpath which pre-dated the racecourse became the main access route for the installations. The 25" Ordnance Survey map of 1947 shows the position of the encampment and anti-aircraft batteries. (1)
Unpublished document: Sheppard, R (TPAU). 2006. An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment of Derby Racecourse.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 36194 37318 (339m by 276m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2022 6:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.