Bass Street, former Home for Penitent Females. Designed for a charity by George Henry Sheffield (1844-1882) and built 1866-68. Subsequently long in local authority ownership, but extended fairly tactfully in 1993 as apartments. (1)
Former ‘Home for Penitent Females’, built in 1866-68 to the designs of Derby architect George Henry Sheffield. Simplified neo-Gothic brick built building with stone dressings and contrasting sandstone banded semi-circular entrance arch. Built for a charity and then owned by the local authority, but converted to apartments and extended in 1993. (2)
Unpublished document: 2007. 'Derby Civic Society Suggested Local List Additions', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 15-26. pp 15-16; p 42 for additional illustration.
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 51.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 33579 36750 (28m by 34m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2014 4:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.