Burton Road, Ravenshoe. Impressive white brick two-storey irregular villa built for Thomas C Simmonds, founding principal of Derby Art College, possibly advised by his close friend F W Waller of Gloucester, designer of the Art College itself. Designed by William Davies (c.1830-1897), being completed in 1880. It is likely that Simmonds himself designed the interior and interior fittings personally, which were a riot of Arts and Crafts shapes and all hand done, perhaps by students. The prospect room overlooking Argyle Street was glazed throughout with much stained glass. After the death of Simmonds' son the house was acquired by Derby's Jewish community and the prospect room became part of a small synagogue, which closed in 1951. Rebuilt by Walbrook Housing (architect Bob Wyatt) in 1986, the prospect room was reglazed conventionally, and some interior fittings have been lost. Now divided, half being an annexe to the International Hotel. The religious furnishings from the synagogue were loaned to Derby Museum by the Museum of Jewish Life in Manchester. (1)
Unpublished document: 2007. 'Derby Civic Society Suggested Local List Additions', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 15-26. p 16.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34636 35178 (14m by 17m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2014 4:35PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.