Kedleston Road, No. 93, Duredent House. Built 1882 for Derby School as a boarding annexe to house a master and twelve boys. Designed by Edward John May of London, but much detailing omitted in the building due to lack of funds. Interior largely unaltered; named after supposed co-founder of school, the 13th century Bishop Duredent of Lichfield & Coventry. Now owned by Derby Shakespeare Society. (1)
Also known as Durdant House. Large Queen Anne influenced three storey detached brick house with shaped Flemish gable, built in 1882 to the designs of Edward John May of London. Two storey bay on the front with original 9 over one sash windows on the first floor, plain sash windows on the ground floor, and multi-paned casement windows. Stained glass in top sash on side elevation. Concrete pantiles on roof. Built for Derby School as a boarding annexe to house a master and twelve boys. Lack of funds meant that much of the detailing planned for the building was omitted. Named supposedly after the co-founder of the school, the 13th century Bishop Duredent of Lichfield and Coventry. (2)
Unpublished document: 2007. 'Derby Civic Society Suggested Local List Additions', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 15-26. p 19.
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 43.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34447 37213 (21m by 21m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2015 4:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.