St Peter's Street/East Street, former Boot's store. Built 1911-12 to designs by Albert Nelson Bromley of Nottingham, and extended in 1936-38 by his firm of Bromley, Cartright & Waumsley. With pargetting, and four statues of local worthies by Percy Richard Morley Horder (1870-1944). (1)
Before the Boot's store was built the site was occupied by 35-38 (later 60-63) East Street and 52-55 (later 45-51) St Peter's Street. 53-54 (later 49-51) St Peter's Street was a later 18th century building, and on the corner from the late 18th century until 1878 was the Barley Mow. The store was designed in a new East Anglian Arts-and-Crafts style by A N Bromley, and the crowning glory was the four statues of "Derby Worthies" by Horder : Florence Nightingale, John Lombe, William Hutton and Jedediah Strutt. In 1935 buildings on East Street were demolished and the store was extended in 1936-38, in matching style, by Percy James Bartlett of London. (2)
Article in serial: Billson, P and Craven, M. 2007. 'Green Hill & St Peter's. A draft for a suggested conservation area', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 30-35. p 31.
Article in serial: Craven, M. 2006. 'Former Boot's Store, St Peter's Street', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 84, pp 11-14, photograph.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35353 36034 (22m by 28m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:25AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.