Monument record MDR11449 - Padfield Mill and mill pond (site of), Padfield, Glossop
Type and Period (2)
- COTTON MILL (Georgian to Mid 20th Century - 1807 AD to 1953 AD)
- MILL POND (Georgian to Mid 20th Century - 1807 AD to 1953 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map shows this site as 'Cotton Mill', with an adjacent mill pond and chimney. (1) The 2nd edition of 1898 names the mill as 'Padfield Mill (Cotton)', as does the early 20th century edition. (2, 3) It is clear from modern maps that the mill buildings have been demolished, the mill pond filled in and the site redeveloped. (4) Date of construction about 1807, for cotton spinning and manufacture. It occupied just over half an acre of land, plus the mill lodge. Owned by William Barber in 1828, the name was changed in 1843 to William Barber & Sons. It became a cloth and thread manufacturer in 1849, when the new owners were John Barber & Bros. During 1870 it became the Padfield Mill Company, controlled by Thomas Rhodes' sons, William and Herbert Rhodes. The Platt family bought the mill in 1876 as William & Edward Platt. In 1881 the owner was Edward Platt & Sons. This lasted until 1925 when The Rye Mills Tannery Ltd introduced leather dressing, which continued to flourish, with the last change of ownership - to Joshua Kershaw & Sons - three years later. The mill was demolished c. 1952. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II.8.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II.8, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet II.8.
- <4> SDR19557 Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR21119 Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 95-6, illus p 97.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 02991 96091 (105m by 78m)|
|Civil Parish||GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 18 2016 2:54PM