Building record MDR11455 - The Old Court House, St Peter's Yard, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- COURT HOUSE (Victorian - 1870 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- GOVERNMENT OFFICE (Victorian - 1870 AD? to 1900 AD?)
St Peter's Church Yard, former County Court. Probably by John Wills, and intended to house the Court and local Inland Revenue. (1) The County Court building was built in the late 19th century from red brick and yellow terra cotta with a green slate roof consisting of 2 storeys and a basement. There are 2 slightly projecting bays each with 2 three-light windows and pilasters at the sides rising over the 1st and 2nd storeys, carried above a parapet and each topped by a carved lion with shield. The apex of the gables are richly carved with foliage and raised lettering "Inland Revenue and County Court" and each with branched finial. There are 2 doorways in moulded terra cotta surrounds, that at the centre with a hood mould forming a gable and fleur-de-lis finial. The interior is generally unaltered with 2 court rooms. (2)
- <1> SDR20315 Article in serial: Billson, P and Craven, M. 2007. 'Green Hill & St Peter's. A draft for a suggested conservation area', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 30-35. p 31.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1279177.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35263 36038 (30m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:25AM