Building record MDR11461 - Fox and Owl public house, 11 Friar Gate, Derby

Type and Period (2)

  • (Tudor to Elizabethan - 1500 AD? to 1600 AD?)
  • (Tudor to Elizabethan - 1500 AD? to 1600 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The former Derby Antiques Centre - previously the 16th century "Fox and Owl" pub. (1) No. 11 Friar Gate in an early but much restored timber-framed house. It is 2 storeys high with an attic in the gables which are plain with restored bargeboards. It was formerly a Public House but has been converted into a modern shop. The interior retains ceiling beams and much of the original character. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Article in serial: Craven, M. 2005/2006. 'Parker's House, Friar Gate', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No.83, pp 36-40, photographs. p 37.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1216189.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 34874 36358 (8m by 22m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 16 2017 10:25AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.